#NouvelleView #MovingWithChildren #LuxuryMovers #HowToMove
They say that moving is amongst the most stressful things in life. I certainly understand how this would be true for those adults responsible for planning and executing the million of details that come with a move. In fact, that’s why we created our company, NouvelleView, to project manage every aspect of a move so our clients don’t have to lift a finger.
Being responsible for this process for many years, we have learned how particularly stressful moving is for children. Of course, it makes perfect sense. They are asked to leave the security of home, neighborhood, school and often friendships to venture out into the unknown. Will there be other kids in the new neighborhood? Can they walk to school or to the town pool? How can they be sure their favorite toy or cowboy hat or even their new cool sweater will not be left behind?
If you are planning to move with kids in the New Year, here are some things you might consider:
- Plan an outing to the new neighborhood. Locate landmarks such as school, park, ice cream store or hockey rink. This will give kids some sense of security that things they value are available in the new neighborhood.
- Prepare kids for what to expect. Arrange a family meeting to talk about the move, share you feelings and have them share theirs.
- Make kids part of the process. Pack a special duffle bag of favorite toys, clothes and activities that can stay with your child throughout the move. If old enough, they should help pack and carry their treasures. Give each child a different color duffle so theirs can be easily identified.
- Get ready to go back to school. Nothing is more stressful than trying to locate school necessities during a transition. Have a special suitcase dedicated to everything – school clothes, uniforms, books, schoolwork - and hand carry it on the day of the move.
- Involve the kids with decorating their own room [with a lot of guidance from you of course]. Take a trip to the hardware store to look at paint swatches or fabric stores for curtains and bedspreads.
- Plan activities for the kids during the packing stages and especially the day of the move. Enlist favorite babysitters or family friends to lead fun outings, such as saying goodbye to favorite neighborhood places and friends or going to the latest kid’s movie.
- Continue to plan fun outings for after the move. Have the kids bring along a new friend from the neighborhood.
And don’t forget to take care of yourself. Get a massage or a manicure. Explore the neighborhood or catch up on work. Leave the details and the stress to NouvelleView. We take care of everything.